We made this smoked turkey recipe on the Big Green Egg for a party in Laguna Beach, and it was huge success.
Smoked Cajun Turkey
Write a review
- 1 turkey (10-pound or more)
Bad Byron's Butt Rub Clone
- 16 tablespoons kosher salt
- 16 tablespoons fresh cracked black pepper
- 8 tablespoons onion powder
- 8 tablespoons garlic powder
- 8 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 16 teaspoons paprika
Creole Butter Injection
- 1 pound butter
- 1 can beer
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon your favorite BBQ rub
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- Butt Rub Clone Directions: Mix well and store in a Ziplock bag or Tupperware container.
- Creole Butter: Melt butter, then stir in the rest of the ingredients over low heat. Let cool and use in your turkey injector.
- Set smoker temperature to 300-375 F.
- Inject the thawed turkey with the creole butter marinade under the skin of the breast and legs. Try not to poke too many holes or it will seep out.
- Apply a liberal amount of butt rub all over the turkey, patting down into the skin. Flip the bird over, breast side down, and season with more butt rub.
- Cook in the preheater smoker, breast side down, for one hour.
- After an hour, flip the turkey breast-side up.
- Cook another 2-3 hours until it reaches a temperature of 161 F. Remove from grill and let the turkey sit 15-30 minutes, until it "carry-over cooks" to 165F.
- Slice and serve.
Outdoor Cooking in the Elements http://www.ocelements.com/